Monday, March 19, 2012

Animal Rescue Mission

So, this morning, we found a cute little guy stuck in our basement window well:

No, this isn't the exact one. I was so focused on rescue
that I forgot to take a picture of it. *head smack*

Upon further research (and a call to the local animal rescue), we discovered that the little guy was a vole. And that it would die if we didn’t do something…

And so began the mission to save it’s life.

My family contributed the following rescue tools:

One plastic, flexible garden stake

One quality butterfly net

One small piece of cardboard

One delicious piece of leaf lettuce

These tools are proven to work. I would highly recommend them to anyone trying to rescue a vole from a window well.

Anyway, back to the story…

When I first descended into the window well to retrieve the little guy, he turned into a frozen statue and played dead.

He wedged himself into a corner, so I used the flexible stake to carefully nudge him out. Finally free of the corner, the little guy was totally and completely confused as to what it should do (yes, I know what the Vole was thinking – trust me, those little black eyes were confused).

I placed the tantalizing bit of leaf lettuce at the opening of the butterfly net, put the piece of cardboard behind him, and gently guided him to the opening. Once he scampered into the net, I was able to successfully lift him from the window well and carry him to a location where he (hopefully) will stay out of trouble.

My reward: The satisfaction of helping a tiny animal in need

His reward: The juicy piece of lettuce, which he quickly confiscated as his own

I know that isn't leaf lettuce the vole's eating, but it's close enough. :)

4 comments:

  1. Aw...he's so sweet. I'd never heard of a vole until a few weeks ago when my nine-year-old said they found a dead one *gulp* at school. Glad your little guy didn't end up that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. That little guy was seriously unfortunate. I'm glad mine didn't end up that way, either. :) Mine took his piece of lettuce and is living happily ever after...

      I think... :D

      Delete
  2. Yay for helping out a helpless little animal. That happened to me once with a bird who had a broken wing. We used the same things you did. The butterfly net was most important.

    Thanks for sharing this rescue story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, poor bird! I'm glad you were able to help it out. :) Aren't butterfly nets incredibly helpful? Hehe. :D

      Delete