Friday, October 14, 2011

When You Don’t Know Which Way To Go – Part One

Once upon a time, I had a great aunt who was a phenomenally sweet and fun person. She was also a bit…um…scattered and gullible.

One day, while out driving, she came upon a sign like this one:



She couldn't figure out how to drive strait up, so she turned around and went home.

Okay, now that’s funny, right? You can go ahead and laugh. I don’t mind, ‘cause when I heard that story I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe. :)

My great aunt came to a crossroads and couldn’t figure out which way to go.

How does this apply to writing?

Well, there’s actually many ways that this could apply to writing, and I’ll be blogging about a few of those over the next couple of weeks. Today, I want to focus on just one of them – one that is currently plaguing me, myself, and I to no end.

Settling on my next project.

A while back, I completed the first draft of my newest novel. Now I’m running that baby through round after round of revisions and integrating some great feedback I’ve gotten from my CP (critique partner).

Though revisions are occupying most of my writerly thoughts right now, I find myself thinking about which project to do next.

Now some people don’t understand how writers can get so many ideas. My question is, how do writers keep from getting ideas?? I think we’re wired to see a story in almost anything. For example, right now, I have at least ten different files sitting on my computer filled with possible story ideas.

But I keep coming back to two of them. And I don’t know which direction to go. They’re both calling to me in very different ways, and I can’t decide between the two because I feel so strongly about each one. Ah, what a dilemma. It’s a good dilemma. But still.

So what do y'all do when you don’t know which direction to take? Do you have a system for deciding which project to take on next or do you just go by gut instinct?

No comments:

Post a Comment