Friday, June 3, 2011

Writing Hint #14

Today’s writing hint comes from the lovely Jenn Johansson. Be sure to stop by her blog and say 'hi'!

“I've been keeping busy with revisions for awhile and one of the things my agent suggested for me was so cool that I have to share it. She said to take a character from the last scene of your book (this should work with any character) and plop them into the first scene in your book and see how they would handle things differently now. This is a great way to see if your character has changed and grown and not remained stagnant. You can just imagine it, or go all hog-wild and actually re-write the scene with the character as he finished the book. It's incredible to see the differences and realize all the things you did right.” (link)

This is great revision advice. Give it a try!

I dare ya.



6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I'm happy you liked the revision tip. What can I say? I'm lucky enough to have a genius agent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn - You're welcome! :) And you are absolutely right. You do have a genius agent. :) Thanks for sharing the tip on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I must be losing it because I thought I left a comment!

    Anyway, this is a great tip--I've never heard it before. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill - Welcome to the blog! Maybe Blogger deleted your comment. You know how temperamental it can be sometimes. :)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool idea! Do you have to wait until the very last scene I wonder or could you pop the middle scene prtag into the first and see how she or he floats?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deana - Welcome to the blog! I would think it would work with a middle scene character as well. At the very least, it would give an indication of how the character is changing as the book progresses.

    Thanks for the great comment!

    ReplyDelete