Monday, May 30, 2011

My Absence Explained. Sort Of.

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!

So last week was my worst blogging week ever. Especially considering not a single post went up. Not one…

*clears throat*

Anyway, what kept me occupied all of last week was something that I guess you could most closely classify as “spring cleaning” taken to a whole new level. We are talking epic cleaning here. Three main things will forever stick out in my memory about this past week. Okay, maybe four.

1) Stacks and stacks of boxes that have been packed away in storage for who knows how many years, carted from house to house and town to town.

2) Lots and lots of box related dust and age-old cobwebs. 

3) Tons and tons of sneezing.

4) Hilarity in abundance. (It was a real bonding week for me, my parents, and my siblings.)

Conversations frequently went something like this:

“And you have hung on to this all these years for what reason?” [holding up a crumbling thing that may have at one time been a flower]

“Well…um…it was important…at the time…”

[looking at the thing that is disintegrating into ash before our eyes] “Do you even know why you kept it?”

“Well…um…no?”

Yeah, good times. *smiles*

What have y’all been up to? Any great plans for today? We had a BBQ – grilled pork chops smothered in sauce, potato salad, corn on the cob, cheese green beans (they are beyond good), and frozen desserts. Yummies in abundance.

Be sure to check back by later this week to learn seven things you probably wish you didn’t know about me. But please don’t tell me that. I would rather bask under the delusion that you actually do want to know these things.

Also, I’ll have a new writing hint on Friday. This one will be great for anyone struggling through those mind-boggling revisions.

Until then…

Have a great holiday!

Remember to take some time to think about all the amazing men and women who have fought and died for our country. First and foremost, this day is about them and about the sacrifices that they make. I know that today is really causing me to remember the service of my father (20 years in the Air Force), my grandfather who passed away last year (26 years in the Air Force), my uncle (killed in the Vietnam War), and all my other family members who have served or are currently serving in the military.

If anyone reading this post is in the military or has been in the military, thank you so much for what you do for our country.



No comments:

Post a Comment