Wednesday, May 11, 2011

After The Chimichanga Challenge

Hey y’all!

I did it! I successfully completed the Chimichanga Challenge.

And the final word count is….

Team Churro: 40,222/40,000

As winner of the Chimichanga Challenge, Brodi awarded me the grand prize – a burrito! Woot!

Now that the challenge is over, I am finding myself thinking back on the things I learned – about myself and about my writing. While there are many, I will include just four of them here.

So, here we go.

What the Chimichanga Challenge taught me:

4. I am horrible at coming up with a team name. The awesome Robin Weeks actually thought up the name Team Churro, and it was perfect! Thanks, Robin. *smile* (She gets to have half of my prize burrito)

3. I will never think of chimichangas the same again. Mexican food – particularly chimichangas, burritos, tamales, and churros – will forever be tied to this challenge. Every time I take a bite out of a burrito, my thoughts will shift to this challenge and this WIP (Work In Progress).

2. I can write a lot faster than I thought I could. When I started the challenge, I was all excited and ready to tackle it. Several days into it, I thought, “Wow, 40,000 words? Never gonna happen.” But I kept going. I made a timeline and broke up the 40,000 words into smaller, more manageable pieces. Once I hit that 30,000 mark, I knew I would be able to finish. There is nothing like a challenge to push you to the limit.

1. The number one thing I learned is that I should never wait for inspiration to hit. Training myself to write every day, no matter what, was an amazing experience. I found out that some of my best scenes were born out of making myself sit down and just do it. I may have had to yank the words out of my head with pliers, but they came.

I would like to send out a special thanks to the amazing Brodi Ashton and Bree Despain, the creators of the Chimichanga Challenge. When Brodi extended the invitation for other writers to join the challenge, I knew it was the perfect thing to get me going on my new WIP. Deadlines. Give me deadlines, and I am good to go. So, thank you, Brodi and Bree!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, the glory of deadlines! I love them! (Now if only someone will do a challenge for editing.)

    I'm thrilled Team Churro was victorious. I knew, with that name, you couldn't lose. I'll be watching for my half-a-burrito in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin - Good idea! An editing challenge. I am all for one of those. Now how would it work...? Edit so many pages per day? Cut out so many words per week? :)

    That name was a definite winner. Thanks again! And I'll be getting that half-a-burrito to you as soon as possible. You totally deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Kristin! Seriously, awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brodi - Thank you so much! :) It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Conrats on winning the challenge Kristin! Thank you so much for stopping by Heather's Odyssey and for following. I love your blog, looks like a great place to hang out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - Thank you very much! I love your blog too. :) Thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete