Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grammatically Yours – Commonly Misused Words Part Two

Happy Thursday!!

After the second list of ten commonly misused words, I will include the words from the first list along with definitions. There was great discussion and comments on the first list. Thank you, everyone, for participating! *smile*


List Two:


Reign, Rein

Whose, Who’s

Allusion, Illusion

Climactic, Climatic

Than, Then

Loose, Lose

Precede, Proceed

Compliment, Complement

Adverse, Averse

Discreet, Discrete


What are your thoughts on the second list? Have you ever had trouble with any of these words? Feel free to define, give examples, or discuss.


Words from List One with Definitions:
(Some of the words have more definitions than what is listed below)


To – Used to indicate movement, direction, proximity, purpose, or intention.
Too – In addition; also; more than enough; excessively.

There – A place; a moment or point.
Their – Possessive form of they. Belonging to; associated with.
They’re – Contraction of they are.

Affect – To influence.
Effect – Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.

Your – Possessive form of you.
You’re – Contraction of you are.

Illicit – Not sanctioned by custom or law; unlawful.
Elicit – To bring or draw out; educe. To arrive at (a truth, for example) by logic.

Capital – (1) A town or city that is the official seat of government. (2) Wealth in the form of money or property, used or accumulated in a business by a person, partnership, or corporation.
Capitol – (1) A building or complex of buildings in which a state legislature meets. (2) The building in Washington, D.C., where the Congress of the United States meets [Always capitalize Capitol for this usage]

Through – (1) From one end or side to another or an opposite end or side. (2) Among or between; in the midst of. (3) By way of.
Threw – Past tense of throw.
Thorough – (1) Exhaustively complete. (2) painstakingly accurate or careful.
Though – (1) Despite the fact that; although. (2) Conceding or supposing that; even if. (3) However; nevertheless.
Thru – Through [informal]

Accept – (1) To answer affirmatively. (2) To agree to take (a duty or responsibility).
Except – With the exclusion of; other than; but.

Ascent – The act or process of rising or going upward.
Assent – (1) To agree, as to a proposal; concur. (2) Consent.

Breath – (1) The air inhaled and exhaled in respiration. (2) The act or process of breathing. (noun)
Breathe – To inhale and exhale air, especially when naturally and freely. (verb)


Sources:

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, Kristin. I love stuff like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what always bothers me? When people use 'drug' as past tense for 'drag.' I always wince and then shake a mental fist lol.

    Discreet, Discrete - that's the one I always have to look up to make sure I'm using the right word. I hate not being sure about grammar/spelling.

    Also! I wanted to let you know that I gave you an award over at my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricki - Thanks! I love grammar stuff too. :) Also, thanks for taking the time to post a recap of the WB chat!

    Lori - I am right there with you. If I am not sure about something grammar/spelling, it really bothers me until I can figure it out.

    'Discreet' and 'discrete' can be confusing, can't they? Your comment about 'drug' and 'drag' made me laugh. :)

    Thank you so much for the award! You are awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have issues with all of those. It's so sad. I always have to stop and think for a minute before I write and hope I write the correct word.

    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela - Thank you! These words are so easy to confuse. I have to think about some of them too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ha! I was too busy looking at part 1 that I didn't even notice that you had lose and loose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenni - Haha! That is quite all right. :) I'll be posting the definitions of the second list later this week.

    ReplyDelete