Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Contest, Links, and How Do You Get Your Manuscript on Paper?

I do believe spring is in the air!

It is just enough of a taste to tantalize our senses with what is coming. I am sure there will be more snow before the days truly begin to warm, but wow, it is a nice day. Nice here being an understatement. My window is open right now, and I can smell the scent of pine in the air. The sun is bright the skies are blue…. It is definitely enough to make me want to go out there.

Now.

Okay, maybe not now. I do need to finish this post after all.

I have noticed that writers use a variety of different methods to get their manuscripts on paper. Some just open up a blank Word document and launch right in. Some make detailed outlines before they will type a single word of the story. Some keep journals and/or notebooks filled with information and full scenes. Some start at page one and write chronologically. Some write random scenes throughout the book and eventually go back and tie everything together.

For myself, I use a combination of methods. I usually have one journal that I use for notes, and I will frequently make a rough outline of the story plot. I have a tendency to write the story more chronologically, but if a scene pops into my head, I will either jot it down in my journal or type it into my computer. When I am ready for that scene, I will incorporate it with the rest of the story.

So my question today is – What works for you? Do you tend to gravitate toward a specific method?

Before I wrap up this post, I have a few links to share and contest to tell you about.

Kristen Lamb has a great post up entitled, “10 Ways to Improve Your ‘Likability Quotient.’” Nathan Bransford is having a discussion about favorite film adaptations, and Meredith Barnes just posted about how “Books are realer than life.” Also, don’t forget the live chat with WriteOnCon on Monday.

And now….the contest! 

Julia King is having a fun contest on her blog ‘Writing Jewels.’ If you love books and have a bookshelf, you can enter! Be sure to check it out here.

So what’s happening with everyone this week?

2 comments: