Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Forever Faves

It's Wednesday again!


Does anyone else feel like this year is already in a hurry to get over? Seriously, it was just Christmas, and now it’s the twelfth of January. Yikes!

So, today I would like to share a book with you. It’s one that’s been out for years and years, but from the first time I read it, it’s always held a special place on my list of favorite books. It would definitely be in my Top 10. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve read it….

If you’ll notice, my “quote of the week” is even taken from this novel.

What is it?

Mara: Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

This novel is a YA historical fiction, and the premise is a slave girl who gets caught in the middle of two sides dueling for the crown. She ends up playing the part of double spy, carefully juggling her own identity. If her secret is found out…she will die. This book has mystery, political intrigue, danger, and even a bit of romance. Best of all, the entire story is set in Ancient Egypt. Ah, perfection. For me, you can’t get much better than that.

I would highly recommend this story to pretty much everyone. It is not strictly young adult – adults would enjoy it as well. As with most historical fiction novels, there are some presumptions made about key figures in Ancient Egypt. But, it is fiction. So be nice. The descriptions of Egypt and life in that time are wonderful and completely draw the reader in.

So give Mara a try. I love it, and I hope you will too.

Has anyone already read it? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. DO WE SHARE A BRAIN? I looooove Mara, Daughter of the Nile! I read it several times when I was a teen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT??? Seriously?? I'm beginning to think we *do* share a brain! :D

    ReplyDelete