Friday, January 7, 2011

The First Big Batch, Writing Hints

Hey, y'all,


We've almost reached the end of another week, the first full week of 2011. Most of this week, I have spent editing, researching, writing, and sending queries. Yesterday, I sent out my first larger batch of ten query letters. Now I will be waiting to see what kind of response I get. Then I can move on from there. I will keep everyone updated on the blog.


As it is Friday, I have new writing hints to share with you. This great advice comes from the agents at the Greenhouse Literary Agency. Since I didn't post a writing hint last week, I will include two hints today. These are taken from the agency's "Top Tips," a listing of their "top 10 tips for children's fiction writers." 


Here they are:


Writing Hint #2: "There are two aspects to any great book: the quality of the writing and the quality of the plotting. You need to have a strong, individual, fresh voice that pulls the reader in - but you also need a great story to tell." (Greenhouse Literary Agency, Top Tip, #4)


Writing Hint #3: "Start your story strongly so that the reader is grabbed from the beginning. You could start with a dramatic moment, or a moment of change or discovery. If you've bored readers in the first 20 pages you'll probably never get them back." (Greenhouse Literary Agency, Top Tip, #8)


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment