Friday, December 17, 2010

Novel B, Conference Call, And The Unveiling of "Writing Hints"

Hey, everyone!

I have officially sent out the very first small batch of queries for Novel B! There is always a heightened sense of adrenaline when those first queries go out. Yeah, there will be the rejections; that is pretty much a given. But there is also a new expectation that this will be "the one," whether that expectation proves to be true or false. So the process starts once more, but with a brand new novel. Stay tuned for updates.

Meanwhile, Novel A is not sitting idle. I am putting it through another set of revisions and a new round of queries. The revision and submission never ends until the novel is published. Now there's a bit of uplifting news for all you writers out there. But truly, don't stop revising. Your novel can't help but get better.

Last night I was able to participate in a conference call with several writers and authors, including Bree Despain and Brodi Ashton. Brodi's debut novel "Everneath" comes out Winter 2012. The conference was very informative and I have lots of notes. I would encourage other writers out there to look for outlets like this one. Phone conferences, writer's conferences, etc. You learn a lot and get to meet some very neat people.

Lastly, I am starting a Friday feature here on the blog.... (drum roll please).... WRITING HINTS! "Writing Hints" is a very broad, encompassing title that will include hints about querying, the submission process, and writing in general (mechanics, plot lines, character development, etc.) Basically all things writing, but mostly, from the fiction writer's point of view.

So, without further ado....

Writing Hint #1 - When querying an agent, never - and I mean never - begin your query with a rhetorical question. I cannot tell you the number of agents out there who have written about how much this one thing bothers them. So don't do it!

Thankfully, I found out about this faux pas before I ever sent out my first queries. Whew.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating last night! And excellent advice on the rhetorical question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brodi - Last night was amazing! Thanks again for doing it. I am looking forward to reading your book! Since I majored in history (with a focus on the Ancients), your premise sounds very interesting. It's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Sounds like things are really beginning to "snow ball" for you. ;) Keep up the enthusiasm! It is the best partner to hard work for getting things done. :) I am really looking forward to seeing my best friend's name in print AND to reading her books again and again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twin - Thanks! I will try to stay enthusiastic in the face of each and every rejection letter. Haha! And I love snowballs!! :)

    ReplyDelete